Translate

Friday, February 08, 2013

Violence and Videogames

In the wake of several school violence incidents, not the least of which is Sandy Hook, people are quick to blame something besides the insane madman -- and violent video games seems one of the targets.  I'm crying bologna.

I'm not sure I agree that violent video games are substantly "worse" or more suggestive of murder or crime than they were before, just the technology is better.  I was playing boxing games in 1977 on a computer, and tank battle and duck hunt in 1979 on our game console.  I slaughterd thousands of orcs, mages, knights wizards, aliens, trolls and dragons playing AD&D and Traveler in the 70s and 80s, and also played Zork, Empire and even the racy text adventure Leather Goddesses of Phobos as a teen... Yet I'd say I turned out well, never a conviction or arrest except 2 driving tickets.  


Little boys have played Cowboys and Indians, cop and robber, or, in my day, the non-PC named game "Japs and Commandos", or some variation of antagonist-protagonist since likely "cavemen" children picked up a pig bone and mimicked stabbing their brother.  I shot my brother 10,000 times in 10 years with cap guns, blew him to bits with smoke grenades and shoeboxes labeled "Claymore", and stabbed him with a ruler.  We even shot each other with pellet guns, but mama never learned that!  I'm sure the same was true, with adjustments for technology, 4000 years ago.  Do you think that there is a fundamental difference in video games, or playing jungle soldier?  Vampire movies have been around since silent picture days, and violence in plays is nothing new.  I am not sure there is enough evidence to place any blame on violent video games.  I continue to be unswayed.

No comments: